Has it ever happened to you that you are in the middle of sending money online using Google Pay, Paytm, PhonePe, or any other UPI payment service and your internet connection stops working for some reason? If yes, then *99#, a USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) based mobile banking service, can be really helpful for you. It allows you to request and send money, change your UPI PIN and even check your account balance without an internet connection.
*99# service brings banking services to everyone across the country. It is offered by 83 leading banks and 4 telecom service providers and can be accessed in 13 different languages including Hindi and English. Here’s how you can set it up and make UPI payments offline.
Set up offline UPI payments:
- Dial *99# on your smartphone or feature phone. But make sure you are using the same phone number linked to your bank account to make this call otherwise this service will not work.
- Then, choose your preferred language and enter your bank name.
- You will be shown a list of bank accounts linked to your number, so select the one you want to use by pressing the appropriate option.
- Now, enter the last 6 digits of your debit card with the expiration date.
- Once you set up it successfully, you can make UPI payments without an internet connection as explained in the next step.
Make offline UPI payments:
- Dial * 99 # on your phone and type 1 to send money.
- Choose your preferred option and enter the UPI ID / Phone Number / Bank Account Number of the person to whom you want to send money.
- Then, enter the amount and your UPI PIN.
- Once done, your payment will be made successfully, and you will be charged the maximum amount. * 99 # 0.50 per transaction to use the service.
Currently., The upper limit of this service is Rs. 5,000 per transaction. Give it a try and let us know in the comments if it was useful.